1. Hike the Boesmanskloof trail, or part thereof. You find yourself climbing up and out of Greyton into chocolate box picture mountains, and then descending into a silent private valley between two mountain ranges, on this well-known footpath to the town of McGregor on the other side of the mountains. On the way, swim in the most fantastic deep mountain pool with a 20ft waterfall cascading into the generous, sunlit pool. Listen to and watch birds the whole way, and the deepest, most beautiful silence.
2. Take a slow ambient cycle through the picturesque village of Greyton, stopping at sidewalk cafes for a milkshake and an Amsterdammetjie (the Oak & Vigne Café is a favourite, as are Via's, the Post House and Vanilla Cafe). Greyton Bicycle Hire provides people of all ages the means with which to view Greyton and the surrounding areas by bicycle or simply to have fun by riding one of the ever increasing number of tracks. Contact 083 304-9508
3. Attend the Greyton Saturday morning market between 10h00 and 11h30 every Saturday and experience locally produced delights from Lorette's incredible pestos to homemade yoghurt, an extraordinary range of Sandra van Wyk's homemade aromatherapy soaps and oils, delicious jams and marmalades, cosmetics with integrity, cheeses you'll wish you could send to all your family and friends and DO stop for a glass of the best homemade lemon cordial since Pa fell off the bus and for lots of homebakes too.
4. Bring a large group to the Zebra Moon backpackers and do various delightful day-trip walks, play games in the ample dining room / lounge in the evenings, then remind yourself of what fun it is to share a dormitory (with a difference in this case) with three or ten others.
5. Mountain bike off road on some of the routes the Cape Epic cyclists sweat through every March. Top cyclists the world over have rated Greyton one of SA's top mountain biking areas!
6. Go for a horse-ride through some of the Overberg's finest farm and mountainlands at either the Greyton Riding Club or the Blue Hippo Farm.
7. Haul out your wooden tennis racket on one of Greyton's two central courts and reveal your age! (You might meet the rest of us doing the same! Tennis is the national sport in Greyton, as apart from riding, soccer and rugby, it is one of the only sports!)
8. Visit von Geusau's chocolate factory and bliss out. World class. Follow that with a trip to two excellent local winefarms, Lismore Estate and Oewerzicht.
9. Book a table one of Greyton's very fine restaurants for dinner such asHerman de Kok and Philipus Hugo's RESTAURANT 254) and indulge in boerekos with a serious difference.
10. Get outta town - there's lots to do in the greater area such as whale-watching in nearby Hermanus (45 minute drive away), warm baths in nearby Caledon, or visit the nearby Moravian Mission Station Museum.
Portfolio recommends Rouxwil Country House for stunning 5 star Greyton accommodation.
Rouxwil Country House, near Greyton and Caledon is set amongst wheatfields, orchards and majestic mountains. Unwind in comfort in luxury garden rooms with breathtaking views of the valley and plains game. A personalised farm tour with sundowners and a gentle river cruise are unforgettable experiences.
|Email (will not be published)(required)|
|Notify me of follow-up comments|
Please enter the code shown below in the textbox :
Spontaneity rewarded! 25% off for last-minute breaks more...
10% off pampering & wellness treatments in the Rain Forest Spa for Portfolio guests more...
Treat yourself and the one you love with these romantic specials more...
Spend 4 nights or more with up to 15% off at this tropical hideaway on the Dolphin Coast more...
Last minute special for this weekend – save 35% for up to 12 people at this gorgeous South Coast beach house more...
Celebrate Easter in the bush with 25% off this weekend special for two, delish meals and game safaris included more...
Save 5% and enjoy Cape Dutch hospitality in a charming historical village more...
Indulge in gastro delights with a five course dinner, goodiebasket and overnight stay in a serene country setting more...