In fact, in Hermanus there is a very useful ‘whale crier’ who blows a kelp trumpet whenever a whale is spotted – and some days he can be heard repeatedly when there are high numbers of whales in the bay!
However if your time is limited to just a few days or even hours, you may find these tips help you to enjoy and get the most from your whale watching excursion.
1. Southern right whales (Eubalaena australis ) are about the size of a bus – they can weigh up to 80 tonnes and may reach 18 metres long.
2. The southern right whale has the largest testes and penis of any living thing
3. Southern right whales have horny growths called callosities on the top of the head, which form patterns. These are different for each individual, which is useful for researchers collecting info on whale behaviour, as they can easily differentiate between individuals.
4. Southern right whales can be seen tail lobbing, flipper slapping and even treading water (known as spy hopping). Logging is the term used for when they lie in the water not doing much – like a log!
5. Southern right whales protected under the Wildlife Conservation Act. It is estimated that the entire world population of southern right whales only numbers several thousand, compared to an original pre-whaling population of more than 100,000. Good news is that they reportedly recovering at a rate of about seven per cent each year.
Set on the coast near the southern most tip of Africa, lies De Hoop Nature Reserve. A World Heritage Site encompassing 34 000 hectares of nature reserve and fynbos, including the protected marine reserve along 75 km of pristine coastline.
This charming self-catering homestead built in the traditional Arniston fishing cottage style, comfortably sleeps up to 8 and has sweeping sea views.
|Email (will not be published)(required)|
|Notify me of follow-up comments|
Please enter the code shown below in the textbox :
Visit the best museum in the Cape for free during your Swellendam stay more...
3 nights for 2 in the ‘sexiest sleepover in the city’! more...