Luxury Accommodation in Addo
Addo travel guide
An hour or so from Port Elizabeth in the Eastern Cape is a town called Addo, set in a naturally beautiful region in the Sundays River Valley, surrounded by the Zuurberg Mountains and featuring Spekboom, open plains and wooded kloofs. This entire region is known as Addo, and the world renowned Addo Elephant National Park has brought numerous visitors to what would otherwise be a forgotten slice of paradise somewhere on the road between PE and Grahamstown.
Thanks to the Addo Elephant Park, which is home to around 350 elephants that draw visitors from around the world, other game lodges have been founded in the Addo region, and the area is best known for safari style holidays focussing strongly on the Big 5, plains game, birdlife and general conservation.
- Addo Game Drive – Take a self-drive tour of the park, or opt for a guided tour. Addo Elephant National Park incorporates 5 of South Africa’s 7 vegetation Biomes. Open 07h00 – 19h00 daily. Stay at RiverBend Lodge for luxury, family friendly accommodation right inside the park.
- Addo River Safari – Cruise down the Sundays River on a houseboat and enjoy the tranquillity of the Eastern Cape. See the bush from the water and encounter buck and monkeys on the banks, birds above and fish below.
- Amakhala Private Game Reserve – A beautiful reserve with a selection of luxury safari lodges, Amakhala offers guests Big 5 game Drives and numerous other game sightings with qualified guides. Visit the Amakhala Craft Centre to purchase Fair Trade gifts, and the Amakhala Environmental Centre to learn more about the amazing conservation work being done on the reserve.
- Daniell Cheetah Breeding Reserve – Visit and walk with cheetahs (booking essential). The aim of this project is to play a part in cheetah conservation by means of the re-establishment of pure gene lines, as well as educating people to the importance of conserving the species.
- Dungbeetle Tours – Besides viewing the Big 5 and other large game species you may also be lucky enough to see the rare flightless dung beetle, unique to the Addo region. A guided visit to The Addo Dung Beetle Breeding Station will teach you more about this unique beetle.
- Elephant Back Safaris – Not only can you meet elephants on a regular game drive; you can also enjoy the thrill of riding through the bush on the back on one of these magnificent beasts.
- Quad Biking Adventures – take a 2 hour guided quad bike adventure in Addo
- Shamwari Born Free Foundation – Visit the Big Cat Rescue and Education Centre, home to nine big cats rescued by Born Free (five lions and four leopards) that live in large natural habitat enclosures several acres in size.
Our Portfolio of Addo Accommodation
Enjoy luxury Addo accommodation in safari lodges and eco- reserves to enjoy a luxury Eastern Cape safari holiday. Alternately choose to stay in one of our Addo guest houses, country houses, guest farms or self-catering cottages from which you can explore the surrounding countryside. Addo is the ideal place to end a tour of the Western and Eastern Cape, starting in Cape Town and travelling right along the Garden Route, ending with a bush holiday experience at Addo.
Addo being just an hour from the coast means you can also enjoy whale watching or other beach activities in season, while the historic town of Grahamstown is a short ride away and well worth a day’s visit while you’re in the area.