Luxury Accommodation in City Bowl
Cape Town City Bowl travel guide
The heart of the Mother City beats strong from the vibrant Cape Town City Bowl – in fact you can often hear the literal rhythm of the African Djembe drums being played as you trawl through the craft stands at historic Greenmarket Square in the CBD.
Discover cobbled streets, busy shopping precincts, a variety of restaurants and all the sights, smells and sounds of the city, from Green Point to Gardens, Oranjezicht to Tamboerskloof, Bo-Kaap to Fresnaye. And when you want a change of scenery, head for the Victoria & Alfred Waterfront for unlimited shopping, dining, browsing, sightseeing and entertainment possibilities.
Cape Town CBD Highlights
- Bo-Kaap – colourful, picturesque historical centre of the Cape Malay Culture; visit the Bo-Kaap museum (oldest house in the area)
- Cape Town Castle – Built in 1600s – the oldest surviving building in South Africa; take a tour which explores the eerie dungeons below the Castle.
- Cape Town International Convention Centre (CTICC) - state of the art Convention Centre hosting a myriad of events year round.
- Cape Town CBD – vibey cafés, bars and clubs, trendy stores. Hipsters abound in Long Street. Visit the Long Street Baths an original Turkish steam bath.
- Company Gardens – Lush historic gardens with views of Table Mountain. Feed the squirrels, then visit the SA National Art Gallery or the South Africa Museum & Planetarium.
- De Waterkant - Cape Town’s Décor District by day, Gay Nightlife Centre by night. Shops, bars, restaurants.
- Greenmarket Square – Tables of crafts and clothing in this square which dates back to 1696. Bartering is encouraged.
- Green Point - excellent coffee and deli delights at Giovanni’s; cakes and light lunches at Miss K in Somerset Road. The new Green Point Park is a great recreational space.
- Iziko Museums - collection of African museums includes the South African Museum & Planetarium, the SA National Art Gallery and a selection of Social History sites including the Bo-Kaap Museum, Groot Constantia, the Castel of Good Hope and the Slave Lodge.
- Heritage Square - a beautifully preserved combination of historical houses, excellent restaurants and luxury Cape Town accommodation. Visit ‘and Union’ for artisan beer and the best Prego rolls in town.
- Victoria & Alfred Waterfront – SA’s top tourist destination – a working harbour alongside a wealth of stores, eateries and entertainment, day and night. Take a ferry to Robben Island.
Our Portfolio of Cape Town City Bowl Accommodation
Cape Town is South Africa’s top tourist destination and it’s always wise to book your luxury accommodation ahead of time in season. Try Cape Town out of season for a totally different experience of the Mother City - lots of rain make it ideal for romantic city getaways, while perfect sunny days pop up unexpectedly throughout the season. Portfolio offers a selection of fine Cape Town City Bowl accommodation options including B&Bs, guest houses and boutique hotels, offering easy access to the Cape Town International Convention Centre, the V&A Waterfront, the Cape Town International Airport and the beaches of the Atlantic Seaboard.