Luxury Accommodation in Klein Karoo
Klein Karoo travel guide
Route 62 meanders through the Klein Karoo – a popular alternative road trip option linking through South Africa’s Western Cape Province. This scenic route wanders lazily between Cape Town and Oudtshoorn, and from the Langkloof to Port Elizabeth in the Eastern Cape. Although the route itself is shorter than the N2 highway, the pace is relaxed, and most people take the opportunity to enjoy exploring the interesting towns en route, making the journey an experience in itself rather than simply a way to get from A to B.
The Klein Karoo is a wonderful place to view stars which seem so close you feel as if you could collect them from the sky. Those travellers who enjoy visiting and exploring quaint, small town places, stuffed with quirky shops and galleries and great little eateries are in for a treat in this wonderfully unspoiled part of South Africa.
Klein Karoo Highlights
- Barrydale - Gateway to the Overberg and Klein Karoo. Wine and brandy lovers will enjoy sampling locally produced refreshments. A myriad of shops, cafés and galleries have sprung up, while nearby hot springs at Warmwaterberg are popular year round.
- Calitzdorp - Picturesque Klein Karoo town in a fertile valley which was once, amazingly, a lake. San and Khoi artwork is still visible in caves in the area.
- De Doorns - Delightful Karoo theatrical village.
- De Rust - Small roadside hamlet, between Oudtshoorn and Meiringspoort. Vineyards, cafes and galleries, ostriches and ancient beetle species plus delectable dessert wines are all available. Check out the many examples of unspoilt rural architectural styles – from Cape Georgian, Victorian and Edwardian to present day.
- Ladismith – ‘Lady of the Karoo’ in the shadow of the fascinating split mountain peak, Towerkop. Visit the popular Towerkop cheese factory to sample and buy.
- Montagu - Steeped in history and famous for its other-worldly rock formations, lush orchards and vineyards and healing hot mineral springs. Visit the fascinating medicinal museum.
- Oudtshoorn - Ride an ostrich, explore the world-famous Cango Caves or take a hot-air balloon ride through the still morning air at sunrise.
- Prince Albert - Beautifully preserved Cape Dutch, Karoo and Victorian buildings of the village attract visitors year after year.
- Schoemanshoek – An unspoiled ‘dorp’ (village) between Oudtshoorn and the Cango Caves, dominated by a tall church spire and surrounded by fertile farmlands and solid whitewashed farmhouses sprinkled along the Grobbelaars River.
Our Portfolio of Klein Karoo and Route 62 Accommodation
The Klein Karoo is an ideal destination year round although summers can be really hot, perhaps too hot for some. Winter is a great time to visit places like Montagu and Barrydale because of the nearby hot water springs, and the region gets exceptionally little rain – less than 10 days in a year! However winter nights can be chilly so be prepared!
Based at one of our benchmarked accommodation establishments at any of the following Route 62 travel destinations you can venture into the surrounding landscape of mountains and valleys, discovering places of interest so often missed on more hurried travels. You should definitely look out for Barrydale , Calitzdorp , De Doorns, De Rust, Ladismith, Montagu , Oudtshoorn , Prince Albert and Schoemanshoek, all places where Portfolio offers Klein Karoo Route 62 guest houses, farm stays and B&Bs. In fact, wherever your Klein Karoo and Route 62 travels take you, Portfolio can guide you to the best, quality and luxury accommodation.