Legendary land of powerful Zulu tribes, KwaZulu-Natal is a colourful fusion of cultures. At the coastal edge, the Indian Ocean entices visitors into its warm waters. The long coastal region includes a World Heritage Site, the magnificent Isimangaliso Wetland Park. Inland, the genteel country towns of the rolling Midlands are out to charm. At...
Fairlight Beach House
7 Bedrooms, 1 Family Suite, 1 Apartment, Self-Catering Options
Fairlight Beach House overlooks one of the finest beaches on the KwaZulu Natal North Coast. Located in Umdloti, only 10 minutes from King Shaka International Airport and en...
Spion Kop Lodge (Spioenkop Lodge)
Spion Kop Lodge offers warm hospitality in the Battlefields and
Drakensberg Region of KwaZulu-Natal, set in indigenous tranquil grounds on an
eco farm. The perfect place from...
6 Bedrooms and 8 Suites
In the heart of South Africa’s champion racehorse stud, amid the sun-drenched valleys of Giant’s Castle, lies Hartford House, a world of heroic battles, picturesque mountain...
Cleopatra Mountain Farmhouse
6 Bedrooms, 4 Suites, 2 Cottages. 1 self-cater Cottage nearby.
If it’s legendary food, spectacular scenery and tranquillity you’re after, then Cleopatra is for you. Cleopatra Mountain Farmhouse has earned global renown as a romantic...
Makakatana Bay Lodge
5 Bush Chalets, 1 Honeymoon Chalet, 2 Family Chalets
An intimate, contemporary hideaway, Makakatana is the only privately owned lodge within the iSimangaliso Wetland Park World Heritage Site, Africa’s largest natural marine...
The Gorge Private Game Lodge & Spa
5 Villas, 3 Lodge Rooms
Nestled in the majestic Oribi Gorge of KwaZulu-Natal and
surrounded by spectacular sandstone cliffs and tropical coastal forests, The
Gorge Private Game Lodge & Spa’s...
Pakamisa Private Game Reserve
8 Spacious Open-plan Suites
Includes Dinner, Bed & Breakfast
From its commanding position atop Pakamisa Mountain in northern KZN, this exclusive lodge specialises in horseback safaris, with panoramic views over the malaria-free 2500...
Amakhosi Safari Lodge
6 River Suites, 2 Honeymoon Suites and 1 Private Villa
AmaKhosi Safari Lodge “Place of the Kings” in Zulu, is ideally situated 4 hours from Durban in KwaZulu Natal and 5,5 hours from Johannesburg. On the banks of Zululand’s Mkuze...
White Elephant Safari Lodge
8 Luxury Safari Tents
Located at the foot of the Lebombo Mountains lies White Elephant, the only lodge in South Africa to offer Kariba-like water-based safari activities, including tiger fishing and...
6 Luxury rooms, 2 self-cater rooms
Includes Bed & Breakfast
Combining style and warmth with generous hospitality and personal service, uShaka Manor is situated in the heart of Umhlanga Rocks, within walking distance to shops and beach,...
Fordoun Hotel and Spa
17 Bedrooms, 5 Open-plan Suites, 8 self-contained Family Cottages
In the rolling hills of Nottingham Road in the KZN Midlands, Fordoun was created with the goal that every guest should leave feeling uplifted, positive and relieved of stress. ...
Lodge - 8 Bedrooms, Guest House - 6 Bedrooms
The Rattray family, pioneers of Heritage Tourism in South Africa, offer visitors an opportunity to experience the extraordinary saga of the Anglo Zulu War. The Lodge and Guest...
Luxury Self Catering Villa - 4 Rooms
Villa Umdoni Exclusivity and Private Packages available
Set in the indigenous forests of the South Coast with breathtaking views of the Indian Ocean, this modern residence has been decorated by an international interior designer....
Palm Tree House
3 x 2 Bedroom Apartments or Entire Villa
Enjoy the luxury and sophistication of your own apartment on the tropical South Coast. Ideal for couples, groups or families wanting to explore the surrounding beaches and many...
Travel from the fast pace and stress of urban living to the peace and tranquillity of Isandlwana Lodge, an impressive building carved into the side of the Nyoni Rock. This is...
Three Trees at Spioenkop
6 Bedrooms, 1 Family Suite, 1 Private Villa
**PLEASE NOTE: Lodge Closure from 30th June 2017 - 14th July 2017**Set in the Battlefields of Kwazulu Natal, overlooking the secluded malaria-free valley of Spioenkop Game...
Montusi Mountain Lodge
Includes Dinner, Bed & Breakfast
Montusi Mountain Lodge is an exclusive guest lodge in the northern Drakensberg mountains of Kwazulu Natal, a World Heritage Site, offering superb views of the magnificent...
Ghost Mountain Inn
49 Bedrooms and 1 Luxury Suite
At the foot of the legendary Ghost Mountain lies the relaxed and welcoming Ghost Mountain Inn, a country hotel in the village of Mkuze on the Elephant Coast of Northern Kwazulu...
Thonga Beach Lodge
8 Chalets, 1 Honeymoon Chalet, 3 Family Chalets
PLEASE NOTE: Thonga Beach Lodge is going to be closed from 17th May to 9th JuneOn the pristine Maputaland coast, Thonga Beach Lodge lies in the heart of iSimangaliso World...
Thula Thula Private Game Reserve
Safari Lodge : 2 Suites, 6 Thatch Rooms. Tented Camp : 8 Safari Tents
Family owned and operated, Thula Thula was home to the late Lawrence Anthony, conservationist and best selling author of 'The Elephant Whisperer'. Only two hours north of...
Most popular areas for this location
KwaZulu Natal travel guide
Legendary land of powerful Zulu tribes, KwaZulu-Natal is a colourful fusion of cultures. At the coastal edge, the Indian Ocean entices visitors into its warm waters. The long coastal region includes a World Heritage Site, the magnificent Isimangaliso Wetland Park. Inland, the genteel country towns of the rolling Midlands are out to charm. At the massive Drakensberg Mountain Range, many visitors are inspired to hike, bike and explore Stone Age paintings in this World Heritage Site.
KwaZulu-Natal can be enjoyed year round, thanks to a subtropical climate. Get your kicks surfing, hang-gliding or golfing. Tour the violent battlefields of history, where Boer, British and Zulu armies clashed. Watch the timeless movements of the Big Five on a game reserve. Meet up with a modern African way of life in the flourishing cities of Durban and Pietermaritzburg. You can explore a traditional village in Zululand, spot remnants of British customs and taste the influence of India when you munch on an aromatic roti.
Along the coast, these are great choices:
- North Coast: settle yourself in a small pretty town such as Ballito or Salt Rock for holidays that involve sandcastles, surfing, snorkelling, and fishing. This is a good place to try Indian cuisine as there is a lively Indian community here.
- South Coast: Port Edward, Margate and Port Shepstone make great bases along the gentle coastline. The waves are perfect for children and people who like their ocean warm.
- iSimangaliso Wetland Park: Take a boat safari to watch whales and dolphins play in the waves, and encounter endangered turtles laying eggs on the sand.
- Golf courses: Your call to golf is answered by more than 60 world-class golf courses, including the famous Zimbali, Selbourne and Umdoni golf courses, as well as the Links course at Prince's Grant near Stanger.
- Durban: Right on the beach, with a balmy climate and surfers in wetsuits all year round, Durbs is the main city of KZN but still manageable to explore in a couple of days. The seafront is lined with big hotels; the ridge overlooking the city, known as the Berea, has cooler temperatures and suburbs with colonial mansions, palm trees and cool coffee shops. You’ll notice the vibrant Indian culture in the markets and the tasty cuisine, specialising in seafood and curries. Durban is also the home of UShaka, a huge marine theme park with its oceanarium, dolphin, penguin and seal shows, water rides and animal encounters.
Driving inland, here’s what awaits:
- Hluhluwe-Imfolozi and surrounding private game reserves: Join a 4x4 safari to see the Big Five and relax in the peace of the bush.
- Midlands Meander: The villages and towns on this road make up South Africa’s first and largest arts and crafts route, extending around 80 km from Pietermaritzburg to Mooi River. Interact with local carpenters, beaders, weavers, potters, artists, wine makers, all creating unique items with a sense of place.
- Drakensberg Mountains: The Drakensberg Range forms a tremendous basalt barricade between KwaZulu-Natal and the Kingdom of Lesotho. Take a hike through yellowwood forests, leading you to magnificent San rock art, birdwatching and diamond bright waterfalls. Or consider a helicopter ride over Cathedral Peak.
- Battlefields: Envision the fighting at the Battlefields of Isandlwana and Rourke's Drift where historic battles spilled the blood of British and Zulu. The Anglo-Boer war trail takes you from Spioenkop and Ladysmith to Talana at Dundee.