Luxury Accommodation in Limpopo
Limpopo travel guide
Limpopo Province is bordered to the north by Rudyard Kipling's "great grey greasy Limpopo River". Wide open spaces, dramatic mountain ranges and sacred lakes create a diverse province which is home to the Venda, North Sotho and Tsonga peoples, and the legendary Prester John and mystical Rain Queen "Modjadji" who have been the inspiration for more than one novel. The famous "upside down" Baobab tree is found to the north, and the Northern section of the world famous Kruger National Park is a wildlife mecca. The Waterberg, Soutpansberg and Magoebaskloof offer hiking trails, waterfalls and crystal clear pools. Malaria-free game viewing in the Waterberg.
- Bela Bela (Warmbaths) – the hot springs here gave this place both of its names – Warmbaths is self explanatory, and Bela Bela means ‘he who boils on his own’ in the traditional Tswana language. The Mabalingwe Nature Reserve and Sondela Nature Reserve are both located here.
- Haenertsberg - Go hiking, kloofing, trout fishing and mountain biking from this small mountain village. Stop at the local pub, the Atholl Arms, to play chess or backgammon, sip wine or listen to live jazz. The annual Haenertsburg Spring Fair is an extremely popular event, attracting people from far and wide.
- Hoedspruit– home to the Balule Nature Reserve and the Moholoholo Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre and Cheetah Projects. Stop off at the popular Bombyx Mori Sill Factory on the road to the Blyde River Canyon. Hoedspruit means Hat Creek but the reason behind the naming of this town is lost in the mists of time.
- Letsitele Garden Meander – Set in the Magoebaskloof, the Letsitele Garden Meander includes stunning private gardens open for viewing.
- Louis Trichardt (Makhado) – Named for the Voortrekker leader who stayed in the area with his party for a year en route to Lorenzo Marques, from 1836 – 1837. Visit the Ben Lavin Nature Reserve which boasts over 100 local tree species, or enjoy watersports on the Albasini Dam.
- Magoebaskloof - The magic of Magoebaskloof is best revealed during the Azalea Festival, when the mountains and valleys are a bloom of colour. Wonderful walks and waterfalls abound. Magoebaskloof is named after the famous BaTlou leader, Chief Magoeba.
- Phalaborwa – This is one of South Africa’s youngest ‘modern’ towns, established in 1957. It is predominantly a mining town where phosphates, copper, vermiculite and iron are mined. The difference in climate between summer and winter is barely noticeable – it’s hot all year round. The Phalaborwa gate to the Kruger National Park is just 2 km from the town centre.
- The Soutpansberg - The Soutpansberg stretches 130 kilometers from west to east through the Northern Limpopo region and is the place of the highly artistically minded Venda and Tsonga people. The artists and crafters are renowned for their woodcarving, pottery and textiles and their workplaces in the rural villages can be visited.
- Tzaneen– Tzaneen is situated in a lush mountain setting. The name Tzaneen probably comes from "Dzananii" derived from Dzudzanani which means "living together in harmony". Foodies must visit the decadent nougat factory in the mountains at Agatha, then sample freshly ground coffee and delectable teatime treats at the Coach House.
Our Portfolio of Limpopo Accommodation
Portfolio has a number of luxury accommodation establishments in the Limpopo region, ideal Safari Lodges, B&Bs and Guest Houses for those looking to enjoy a holiday in the Kruger region.
Because of the popularity of the Kruger National Park, we advise that bookings are made in advance to avoid disappointment especially over busy seasons. Winter is a great time to experience Limpopo as the bush has an extra special quality at that time of year.
Contact Portfolio for all your Limpopo & Greater Kruger accommodation needs, travel advice and online bookings. And wherever your Limpopo travels take you, Portfolio can guide you to the best, quality and luxury Limpopo accommodation in a range of B&Bs, guest houses, farm stays and safari lodges in this popular South African province.