Luxury Accommodation in Mpumalanga
Mpumalanga travel guide
Ever wanted to see the view from God’s Window? It looks out across the Blyde River Canyon in Mpumalanga (‘The place where the sun rises’), one of South Africa’s most naturally beautiful provinces, rich in history and culture and abundant in flora and fauna, containing approximately half of the Kruger National Park. This explains why so many people visit Mpumalanga, as well as neighbouring Limpopo which hosts the balance of the Kruger, for some of the best big game viewing experiences in the world.
- Big Game – It goes without saying that the main draw card for visitors to Mpumalanga Province is the plentiful game one can encounter at Kruger. The Big 5 are not the only wildlife you can expect to view – South Africa is rich in big game, as well as numerous species of creatures great and small.
- Fishing: Fish for fat, lazy trout in the streams that tumble around and through the village of Dullstroom. Explore the sub-tropical Lowveld region, famous for exotic, juicy fruits such as mangoes and litchis.
- History: Visit the quaint, historic village of Pilgrim’s Rest where the romance of the early pioneers and gold rush can still be felt. Indeed, the mines were active until the 1970s after which the town was converted into a tourist attraction featuring museums, craft stores, cafes and the original restored hotel and lively bar.
- Anthropology: Meet the local Shangaan and learning more of their history at the Shangaan Cultural Village. The world renown painted Ndebele houses and beadwork can be appreciated in the museum village of Botshabelo.
- Rare and unusual wildlife: Wild horses roam in the misty grasslands near the hamlet of Kaapsehoop. Endangered blue swallows can also be seen en masse during their annual migration through the Nelspruit region.
- Outdoor adventure: Mpumalanga is the ideal place for a South African outdoor adventure vacation, and Hazyview is the adventure centre of the region, offering the wild-at-heart every opportunity to get the adrenalin pumping. Scale the rocks at the Restaurant at the End of the Universe or explore the fascinating canyons and potholes at Bourke’s Luck. Enjoy an eagle-eye view of Mpumalanga from a microlight, hot air balloon, or while paragliding or hang gliding off the escarpment. White water rafting is an excellent way to enjoy the more lively sections of the Blyde River.
- Natural beauty: Visit the Panorama Route and you’ll soon see why this scenic province with its endless vistas would be the place where, as they say, even God has a window to enjoy the view.
Our Portfolio of Mpumalanga Accommodation
Portfolio Collection offers superb luxury Mpumalanga accommodation, ideal quality establishments from which to explore this fascinating province. Experience the best in South Africa safari, Big 5 game viewing and luxury Kruger National Park game lodges in this unique part of the country.
Game lodges and Safari Tented Camps such as those at the world famous Sabi Sands (Savanna Private Game Reserve and Chitwa Chitwa), as well as Motswari in the Timbavati Private Game Reserve, and Mohlabetsi in the Balule Nature Reserve are all located within Kruger itself, while there is plenty of luxury accommodation to be had in other places near Kruger National Park.
Apart from safari style lodges and camps, Portfolio also has Mpumalanga accommodation in guest houses, manors and villas, guest farms, country houses, eco reserves and boutique hotels throughout the province
We currently offer luxury accommodation in all the following Mpumalanga places