Luxury Accommodation in Route 62
Route 62 travel guide
Explore the Klein Karoo by travelling this iconic South African road trip route – Route 62 – a scenic drive wandering lazily between Cape Town and Oudtshoorn, and from the Langkloof to Port Elizabeth. Although the route itself is shorter than the N2 highway, the pace is relaxed, and most people take the opportunity to enjoy exploring the interesting towns en route, making the journey an experience in itself rather than simply a way to get from A to B.
Based at one of our benchmarked accommodation establishments at any of the following Route 62 travel destinations you can venture into the surrounding landscape of mountains and valleys, discovering places of interest so often missed on more hurried travels.
Route 62 Attractions
- Barrydale – Wine and brandy tasting; lots of interesting shops, galleries and cafés; not far from the famous Ronnie’s Sex Shop bar and the relaxed Warmwaterberg hotsprings spa.
- Calitzdorp - picturesque Klein Karoo town in a fertile valley. Explore San and Khoi people cave paintings in the area.
- De Rust - small roadside hamlet, between Oudtshoorn and Meiringspoort; vineyards and fruit plantations; award winning port; historic architecture; cafés and galleries abound.
- Klaarstroom - hamlet at the entrance to Meiringspoort. Visit Vrolikheid, a farm where witblitz is distilled.
- Ladismith – The ‘Lady of the Karoo’ situated in the shadow of the fascinating split mountain peak, Towerkop; visit the popular Towerkop cheese factory to sample and buy.
- Montagu – rock climbing in other-worldly rock formations, visit lush orchards and vineyards; healing hot mineral springs; medicinal museum; historical architecture; tractor rides in the mountains.
- Oudtshoorn - ride an ostrich, explore the world-famous Cango Caves or take a hot-air balloon ride through the still morning air at sunrise.
- Prince Albert - Beautifully preserved Cape Dutch, Karoo and Victorian buildings of the village attract visitors year after year.
- Robertson - in the lush fruitful Breede River Valley with its own wineroute
- Swellendam - third oldest settlement in South Africa. Famous for its youngberry liqueur, its architecture and its history. Horseride and hike in the mountains.
Our Portfolio of Route 62 accommodation
Route 62 runs through the semi-arid Klein Karoo and the result is a hot dry climate in summer and cold nights in winter. However rainfall in places like Montagu is very low, annually, which means you can plan hikes or other outdoor activities year-round.
Wherever your Klein Karoo and Route 62 travels take you, Portfolio can guide you to the best luxury accommodation – in B&Bs, farm stays, guest houses and country homes.
Contact Portfolio for all your Klein Karoo and Route 62 accommodation needs, travel advice and online bookings.