The Somerset East Museum was opened in Somerset East 1975, in the Old Pastorie. This beautiful example of a Georgian manor house was donated by Mr Ken Birch and was soon filled with furniture and items donated by locals, reflecting the 105 years the building was used as the pastorie for the local Dutch Reformed Kerk. The oldest graveyard in the area is behind the museum.
The rooms are filled with period items with the IsiXhosa exhibition being outside. A new exhibition telling the story of four local struggle heroes has been added as the museum is trying to capture the history of all the communities of the area. Of special interest is the Slachters Nek Exhibition, which includes the beam used to hang five men in 1816.
Beaufort St, Somerset East
Visiting hours are from 8.00 until 16.00 on weekdays, except between 13.00 and 14.00.Visits on Saturdays and Public holidays may only be arranged by prior appointment.