Tembisa is a large township situated to the north of Kempton Park, under the Ekurhuleni Municipality. It was established in 1957 when black people were resettled from Alexandra and other areas in Edenvale, Kempton Park, Midrand and Germiston. The name Tembisa comes from the Xhosa word ‘tembisa’ meaning ‘promise’. It came about when black settlers of Johannesburg were being evicted. When the township was created it was a beacon of hope for those who were suddenly homeless. The township was originally named and called Thembisa but as more and more people from the northern parts of the then Transvaal came to settle there they decided to change the spelling of the word as it did not make any sense in their languages.