Visiting Venda is a captivating experience filled with mystical forests, sacred lakes, water spirits, stunning scenery and world-famous crafts. The Venda culture is steeped in the spirit world and finds expression in their woodcarvings, pottery and the decoration of their buildings. Experience day-to-day life in an authentic Venda village, buy crafts directly from the craftsmen and learn about local beer making.
The one-day tour guided by a professional guide includes:
- The Dzata Ruins and Museum where the Venda legends and history of this very proud and colourful African tribe are brought to life by the telling of stories linked to the artefacts displayed there.
- Visit Venda villages where one gets an intimate insight into how the Venda people live and their culture.
- Lake Fundudzi, has always been related to the spirit world with a legendary large white python God living below the surface of the water and sometimes you can hear the Tshikona sing, although no one appears to be present. It is the home of the mythical white crocodile.
- Thathe Vondo forest, the ‘Holy Forest’, with ancient trees and mountain ferns where all the great Venda Kings are said to be buried and so full of spirits that few Venda people venture into it for fear of the two mythical creatures keeping guard, namely the white lion and the thunder and lightning bird.
- Tshatshingo Potholes, which is a must see
- Venda is culturally unspoilt, un-commercialised and totally authentic; once you have visited you will want to return. Stay at Mashovhela Bush Lodge, a family friendly, award-winning Eco-Lodge. Unwind at the unique Waterfall Hammock camp in the Morning Sun Nature Reserve, which is a Natural Heritage site. Experience relaxing walking trails, perfect for butterflies and birding.